Sunday 7 December 2014

Review of 'He Fixed the Match She Fixed Him' by 'Shikha Kumar'

Blurb: Shreya – I'm a highly qualified Delhi girl earning an enviable salary. My parents are having a tough time finding a suitable groom for me. However, recently they have a proposal from this very interesting guy from Mumbai. I almost get mesmerised when he starts talking to me. I think I like him very much.
Kunal – I'm owner of a textile company in Mumbai. My Mom wants me to get married. Again. She has recently suggested a suitable girl from Delhi. What my Mom doesn't know is that I've met Shreya before once in my life and I've been looking for her ever since. I have a vendetta to settle.
The author takes you along on a journey via roads of revenge, agony, remorse, attraction, titillation, tantalisation and romance. Do Shreya and Kunal make it, or do they fall prey to their past?


Verdict: ‘He fixed the match she fixed him’ is the debut work of author Shikha Kumar. The author has attempted to pen down a fresh story in the genre of love story.

After giving a single look at the cover, the first thing that came in my mind is, cute. The cartoon characters, the pink heart and the pink flavor on the cover gives this book a much needed feel  and will indicate the readers that this book is going to be yet another love story. If you hear the name without looking at the cover, you may guess this book is on match fixing but it is not and this name suits the content perfect. The blurb seems interesting too and I can say the readers will pick the book by its appearance.

The story starts with introducing the female protagonist Shreya and her family. Her recently retired father was searching for the perfect groom for her beautiful, elegant and intelligent daughter when the Kharbanda family form Delhi knocked their door. Just after Shreya’s marriage with the charming KunalKharbanda, the author landed up with a grand twist which will left the readers awe-struck. The story moves on with Shreya trying her best to cope up the challenges thrown by Kunal. But the main essence of the story lies under the way the hatred between these two transforms into love. The author hasn’t shown any hurry while portraying the transformation which makes this story different. There was a wonderful message for the readers at the end.

The narrating style is lucid and engaging. The simple words and the witty conversations will make the readers entertaining till the end. At times the readers might feel the narrating style is a bit slow but it goes with the story.

The characterization was good and to the point. I would appreciate the author for not dragging scenes and for not introducing unnecessary characters to make the story lomg. But apart from the main characters like Shreya, Kunal, Mahesh, Anuradha, Astha, Vineet, who have come alive by the description style of the author, other members of the two families lacked the lime light at times.

This book has a good story line and the author has narrated the whole story in an easy going language. The book has started with a regular note and hadn’t promised anything bigger in the first few chapters.The speed of the story is a bit slow and I felt the constant use of Scavin Eyewear instead of spectacles or sunglass is pretty annoying. Apart from this minor drawbacks, I felt this book is good and any type of readers can enjoy the book.


Final Words:  The debut writer has done a commendable job in jotting down a different love story and successfully dodged the chic-lit tag. A story that tells how divine the relationship of Husband and Wife is.

Title: He Fixed the Match She Fixed Him
Author: Shikha Kumar
Publisher: Vitasta
Page Count: 284
My Rating: 4.25/5

Available At –




No comments:

Post a Comment